The ACT is coming up within the next 24-48 hours. Your child has studied hard (or maybe not at all). It’s the point of no return. What can you, as a parent, do to help them make the most of the last few days before the ACT test? Here are a few ideas:
- Stay Positive. Just like horses, your child can sense fear. If you’re worried, they will be worried. Now is not the time to point out all the missed opportunities to study. Instead, keep them calm and focused on the task ahead. Encourage them and remind them where their strengths are. Tell them you love them no matter what score they receive.
- Have your child get everything ready the night before. Make sure they have enough no. 2 pencils (not mechanical), a calculator with fresh batteries, their registration ticket and photo ID, and a snack laid out and in a place they won’t forget them in the morning. It will be one less thing for them to stress over when they wake up.
- Confirm your child knows where the ACT is taking place. If they are driving themselves, make sure they know where the test is being held. If they aren’t sure, have them look up directions either on their phone or computer. If you are the one driving, make sure YOU know where the testing location is. You don’t want to be the reason your child is late!
- Encourage your child to make good choices. Try to get them to go to bed at a reasonable hour the night before. Don’t let them drink a lot of caffeine right before bedtime. Going over to a friend’s house to hang our or party probably isn’t the best idea if your child has the ACT the next morning.
- Help them out in the morning. This doesn’t mean hovering over them and nagging, but help them stay on track so they will leave on time. Make sure they have a good, healthy breakfast before going. Remind them where you guys laid out all the stuff they need for the test. Remind them one more time that you love them no matter what the outcome of the test is.
If after receiving the ACT results you and your child think she or he could have done better, consider signing them up for ACT prep. Here at Learning Ascent, we offer ACT prep classes, as well as private and semi-private tutoring for students to ensure they reach the score the want or need. Satisfaction guaranteed. College cost savings for improved ACT scores can be tremendous! Learn about the 80k reasons to attend test prep.
Since 2002, the professional tutors at Learning Ascent in St Charles, IL have provided tutoring and ACT prep, helping thousands of students from Batavia, IL; Geneva, IL; South Elgin, IL; and other Fox Valley towns to improve their academic performance.